Health and Physical Education
For Std. IX and X
Health and Physical Education is concerned with total health of the learner and the community.
Besides physical health, it includes mental and emotional health of the learners. Health is often a state of physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
The aim of Mainstreaming Health and Physical Education is to enable the student to attain an optimum state of health, by incorporating each of the aforementioned aspects. Therefore, provision has to be made much more systematically than before, in the school curriculum for Health and Physical Education imbued with Life Skills Research has demonstrated that there is a positive correlation between brain development and exercise which also has an impact on cognitive development thus helping to improve academic grades.
A comprehensive view of Health and Physical Education includes and encompasses the three areas of Health Education, Physical Education and Yoga as integral to achieving holistic health (physical, mental, intellectual, emotional, social and spiritual). Given the interdisciplinary nature of this subject, it needs to be transacted in innovative ways across the curriculum. The ubiquitous digital presence can be an added resource for the student, teacher educator and the teacher. It provides endless possibilities of resorting to online resources to add value to PE. At the Secondary level acquisition of the habits of healthy living and participation in games and sports and athletics for neuromuscular coordination and physical fitness are the aims which should be taken care of while developing any syllabus of Health and Physical Education.
While at the Senior Secondary level, through the integrated PE approach, students will acquire the knowledge, skills, right attitudes and values towards the pursuit of a lifelong physically active and healthy lifestyle. 5 With these aims in mind, the overall and specific objectives for a HPE curriculum are outlined below:
Overall Objectives of Health and Physical Education:
- • To develop awareness regarding the importance of physical fitness in individual and social life including Life Skills.
- • To bring the overall awareness of values with regard to personal health and fitness, and to inculcate among students the desired habits and attitudes towards health to raise their health status.
- • To make the pupils physically, mentally and emotionally fit and to develop such personal and social qualities that will help them to be good human beings.
- • To take action individually and collectively to protect and promote (i) own health (ii) health of family members: and (iii) health of the surrounding community and seeking help when required from available community resources.
- • To develop interest in exercise, sports and games for self-satisfaction and make it a part of life;
- • To enable an individual to enhance inner qualities - self-mastery, discipline, courage, confidence and efficiency.
- • To enable an individual to display a sense of responsibility, patriotism, self-sacrifice and service to the community
- • To develop awareness of the importance of self-defense.
- • To create awareness among children about rules of safety in appropriate hazardous situations to avoid accidents and injuries.
- • To acquaint them with first-aid measures about common sickness and injuries.
- • To help children learn correct postural habits in standing, walking, running, sitting and other basic movements so as to avoid postural defects andphysical deformities.
- • To help children grow as responsible citizens by inculcating in them certain social and moral values through games, sports, Red Cross, Scouts andGuides etc.
- • To inculcate values and skills in children in order to promote self-control, concentration, peace and relaxation to avoid the ill effects of stress, strain and fatigue of routine everyday life.
- • To address the physical, psycho-social needs of CWSN (Children with Special Needs) in an integrated fashion.
- • To seek in instilling self-worth thus helping students to become confident, assertive, emotionally stable, independent and self-controlled.
- • To help release of emotional stress, anxiety and tension, leading to a reduced risk of depression.
- • To help strengthen peer relationships, social bonding, buddy mentorship and team camaraderie.
- • To develop more positive attitude towards challenges, winning and losing, thus preparing students for life and for the workplace.** Values Integrated HPE
- • With the above objectives in mind, the CBSE in consultation with MHRD and Ministry of Sports, Govt. of India has attempted to integrate and mainstream Health and Physical Education across the secondary and senior secondary levels. This is to ensure that the Physical Education component which will continue to be assessed internally, is taken up as a cross-curricular, interdisciplinary discipline across the four strands.
- • Mainstreaming would require the coming together of the Class Teacher, PE teacher and teachers of other disciplines.
- • The mandatory nature of this discipline needs all students to participate in an innovative way through the strands detailed hereafter.
- • It will be mandatory for the school to upload a report of work accomplished across the strands of grade X and XII in the prescribed manner, for enablings students to sit for the Board exam.
- • The stipulation is to ensure all schools take this aspect seriously so as to ensure lasting and lifelong benefits for their students.
- • 2018-19 onwards. The same periods should be allocated to Health and Physical Education.
Health And Physical Education 2018-19